Saturday, February 23, 2013

Survive first month - Check!


So I survived the first month of Mommyhood. I must say, my daughter is an angel, so it made it easier, but still...having a new born, especially a preemie newborn, is tough!

Breastfeeding was (is...) my biggest challenge. At first baby girl was too young to have a good sucking reflex, so it took her a couple of days to get the sucking thing down. And then there are the sore and cracked nipples to deal with!! And even though we are doing much better now, I still can't say I enjoy breastfeeding. My boobs ache ALL THE TIME! And from the feedback I'm getting from other moms, that's not a common complaint. But 5 minutes after she feeds, i can feel my boobs filling up again, and they are always heavy and achy, and I even get these sharp lancing pains running through them. How long do I have to live with this? Until I stop breastfeeding? How annoying! But I do it for my girly. She needs all the health advantages I can give her. After all, with my high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia, and having to be born early, I've already cheated her out of those last 3.5 weeks of life in her warm cozy home in my uterus, where she hadn't a care in the world, and where she didn't have to fight up with the boob and my wonky flat right nipple to get food.

Lol! That wonky right nipple...those first couple of weeks trying to feed her from that boob was so torturous for us both. Poor baby! She was so distressed whenever I brought her close to the boob it was like a punishment to her. I swear she's had nightmares where the evil "tut tut" is being shoved into her face!!! Lol! Poor angel. But we have a good(ish) thing going now.

So anyway, we've both survive our first month together. I heard that's the hardest part. My next goal is to get back into sharing a bed with my husband. I spent the first month sleeping in the living room with baby girl. I was trying to give hubby a chance to sleep through the night, since he had to work. Tonight is Saturday and I finally decided to bring the crib into the bedroom, thinking it would be ok if baby wakes him up a bit, cause he can sleep late tomorrow...but instead he decided he'd take my place outside in the living room on the couch....I should have seen that coming :-S Truthfully, I'm just glad I get to spend the night in a bed again.
Oops, I hear baby girl waking! Time to wipe out that boob again!!!
More thoughts at another ungodly hour.
Until then, sleep well
(someday I'll sleep through the night again)

No comments:

Post a Comment