Monday, December 16, 2013

Tale of Two Insomniacs

This has not been a good sleep week for us. Sunday night was rough with baby girl waking up. We didn't get much sleep that night, and I had to wake up at 7am, while she soared the skies of dreamland. Bugger!
On Monday I was determined, no matter how tired I felt that evening, that I'd start the gym that night after I put girlie to bed. For once everything went smoothly, and she fell asleep right away, and I was able to run away to the gym. I'm happy to say, I pushed through and worked my little tushy (and non-existent abs) off!! Got home, cleaned up the small messes hubby didn't get to, and tumbled into bed satisfied. Girlie woke at 3:30am as per her usual torture routine these nights, but we got through the festivities mostly unscathed.  Then came Tuesday…
All day at work I was zombie-like. Thank goodness I've gotten good at scattering paper around my desk and shuffling them around to look busy!  Had my usual morning cup of java first thing in the morning. That wasn't enough to get me fired as one of the extras of The Walking Dead, so I had a second. Trudged through the day exerting as little energy as possible, until that afternoon when I passed a co-worker's desk and smelled what seemed like Heaven in a cup. Coffee! But another cup? Do I dare? Hells yeah! And suddenly all was right with the world again. To paraphrase Goldfinger, it made me wanna kiss all the puppy dogs, smell the flowers and plant a tree, I gotta say that Coffee, he's da bomb!

*BOOM!!!*

Flash forward to 7:30pm. Putting little one to sleep. She tossed and turned and rolled and wiggled, quarrelled to sleep in her crib. I eventually pulled her onto the bed to cuddle and hopefully fall asleep. I may have dozed for 20 minutes as well, but I looked up at 8:30 and she was finally asleep. So I snuck her into her crib and went outside to do the usual nighttime/before bed chores. Kissed hubby good night, left him in front the TV while I jumped into bed to sleep at 10pm…or so I thought. My body wasn't ready to knock out yet, so I played some games on my phone before sleeping…Flash to 11pm, hubby jumps into bed just as I put away my phone. Yay, sleep time! Or so I thought…Now it's my turn to toss and turn and roll and wiggle…12am Maybe I can read a while and that will help me fall asleep….1am The reading didn't work, but I feel the Sandman's grains making my eyes heavy at last…And suddenly, little one wakes up. And no amount of patting, shushing, or rubbing her back will help. I pull her out of bed and go warm up her bottle (way earlier than normal, but I'm trying anything). Bring her back to bed and feed her. She drinks, til she's full, and she's still up. I decide to lay her down between daddy and I. Toss and turn and roll and wiggle, sticking her foot in daddy's mouth, grabbing daddy's nose, climbing, and all sorts of antics. Poor hubby gets the brunt of it. Hell, my sleep is already shot for the night, it's 2am and I haven't slept yet, so may as well try and save hubby more torture. So I whisk her outside and walk her vigorously up and down the living room and kitchen. Nothing. Even in my arms she's wiggling non-stop. That's obviously not working so I squirrel us away to a dark corner of the couch and basically keep her captive til she's so bored she falls asleep. Finally at 3am I take her back to our room, put her in her crib and fall asleep myself. Til 3 hours later the blare of the alarm wakes me up and the cycle starts again.

Oh the joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment