Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Started Solids

It's been such a long time since I posted, so this is a long post! Be warned!! :-)

She’s going to be 29 Weeks old tomorrow, she’s about 6.75 months old. She’s getting so big so fast! I can’t believe how fast it passes…more than half a year old!

She’s been exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months, and on her 6th month birthday she had her very first “solid”! Happy Bellies Oatmeal cereal. She loves it at first, she really enjoyed that meal. After that first day though, she was neither here nor there about it. I didn’t push the issue and feed it to her every day. But by now, mom has taken over feeding cereal to her every morning. To me, it’s not a necessary food, I’d rather feed real foods! Like Apple! That was the next feed we’ve given her…but not as baby food, it was a proper rectangular slice of apple that she held on to and sucked the dear life out of. She loved it!

I’ve given her a couple of pieces since then, she loves sucking it…I think she’s had like 4 pieces total. Yesterday may have been the last time I give her for a while…I’m not sure I’m ready for this Baby Lead Weaning type feeding…she started gagging on a small piece of apple that must have gone down her throat, and as much as in my head I was saying “it’s ok, don’t panic, it’s just her natural reaction to something solid going down her throat, she’s not choking”, I PANICED and just about stuck my entire finger down her throat to see if anything was lodged in there! She was fine of course, but I wasn’t, and that was the end of the Apple….

Oh, she had a lick of a strawberry as the 3 thing she ever tasted. The inside of course, after I’d bitten it. That was so funny to see. I guess it’s very tangy, so her face was almost disgusted, but she kept going back to it to taste again J

Then on 10th Aug I feed her her first puree. I really had grand intentions of feeding a vegetable first, following the theory that if she starts on fruits she may not like less sweet things like veggies. But I got to over-zealous, and there was a ripening Mango on the counter, so I did that for her. I just cut off a face, and strained it through a strainer/sieve. It was a Julie Mango, so not much fibers, all juicy mango goodness. Quick and easy to prepare.

I thought it was gonna blow her mind, I thought she’d love it….No big reaction. We feed her the mango once a day for 4 days 10th – 13th (I feed her Saturday 10th, Sunday, and mom give her Monday and Tuesday). And all that time…no big excitement. Well, if MANGO doesn’t excite her, I have no real hope for her loving all the other things to come!!

Today I gave her Sweet Potato. I had baked it last night (50 mins in the oven at 350°) and when it was cooled, just scooped it out, mushed it up with a fork, but wasn’t satisfied, so threw it in a little food processor for a couple of minutes, then portioned out 1 big teaspoonful per contained. I wanted to be the one to feed it to her for the first time, so I didn’t send mummy any food for her. (I think she was very disappointed, but I’M the mom, so I don’t really care). So this evening when I was ready to feed her, I mixed in for breastmilk, and feed her. I think this was the most texture she’s ever experienced, and she was not impressed. She did a lot of gagging (no panic from momma this time!!) But we played through it, and I praised her a lot, and sang, and played, so in the end she eat a lot of it (almost almost all). I didn’t want the lumpiness and the gagging to leave her with a bad taste in her mouth (hehe, see what I did there?!?) so I tried to make things as happy and playful as possible. So all in all the sweet potatoes went well. And I’ll give mom to feed her more. I think I may feed her in the evening too, or maybe even feed her mango in the evening, I have some in the freezer I can give her. I can’t wait to start her on something else new!

No comments:

Post a Comment